Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Parts, Spare and Otherwise


...flying coach might be the opposite of yoga...causing everything to contract rather than expand...(except, of course, in the sense that everything is yoga)...

...out in Colorado for a coupla days...warmer weather than I’ve experienced in months making the body feel like it’s arising from hibernation...eating aloo gobi in Boulder with Waylon Lewis...(you might know him from Elephant Journal or the Dukes of Hazzard theme)...spending the afternoon wandering streets and paths in search of brain cells left behind there long ago...

...a good friend took me further up in the mountains to go cross country skiing for the first time in a years... awaking body parts long forgotten with a strange, snowy exhilaration...even as I wiped out four times on one hill...now reminding me of their presence repeatedly...

...went with the same friend to see 127 Hours...about a guy who didn’t exactly follow the wilderness dictum to leave nothing but footprints...finding, in the end, no matter how painful the process of separation might be, attaining freedom may involve letting go of a lot...including what appear to be essential parts of oneself...

6 comments:

the walking man said...

I don't know which mountain I rather fall upon...Whitman or a on of the High Rockies trails.

Lydia said...

Gorgeous sky shot, Dr. Jay. And there couldn't possibly be a better movie review of 127 Hours than this one here. Wow.

"snowy exhilaration" jumped right out at me because the postcard I just posted says only Exhilaration.....
I am so glad you had that time in the mountains connecting, reconnecting.

earthtoholly said...

Mmmm...I love aloo gobi, but am always amazed at how expensive Indian restaurants are...at least around here. And speaking of amazed, the movie's on my to-see list. The cross country skiing sounds like fun, much more so than my one experience with downhill years ago. :o/

Enjoy the heat wave, drjay, please give Fargo a pet for me 'n Lucy and safe travels home!

Laura said...

yes, rebirth requires dying first (at least a little)...when do you start your teacher's training at Kripalu? So exciting!

Bob Weisenberg said...

You're going to give us the low-down on Waylon, right?

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, it's Waylon Jennings who sings, not Waylon Lewis.

Peace,