Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sick Again

...been sick yet again...(necessitating, yes, yet another horrifying Edward Gorey image at the head of the post)...a bad sinus cold, this time, though containing suspicious similarities to whatever that was a month ago...leaving me wasting away indoors during what were likely the last eighty degree days of the year, a perfect weekend for occupations or wandering aimlessly in the park...

...not to mention creating another regrettable gap in the ever-so-close-to-daily yoga practice...yeah, I know, but let’s face it, despite having learned a few timeless truths...(headstand while drunk=bad idea)...I’m simply not yogic enough, at this point, either to practice every day no matter what kinda toxic waste facility it feels like I've got lodged in my sinuses nor to not practice for three or four days and yet feel so centered-and-totally-okay-with-myself-and-the-universe-as-it-is-in-this-totally-sacred-as-fuck-moment as to not feel self-conscious about it...(though, admittedly, by this definition, I was never more yogic than in my first thirty-five years of life, when I never even thought about practicing yoga and, if anything, made fun of people who did)...(oh, these spiritual paradoxes)...

...so, laid the mat out just a little while ago, and got right into it...incense, Miles, and a strikingly satisfying post-neti-pot headstand...and, though, as it turned out, I wasn’t quite up for everything intended, actually found myself feeling better than I had in days, if, still, well below 100%...(yeah, you blissed out yoga hippie types out there, I hear ya...but you’re always 100%! you're always perfectly yogic!! you’re perfect just as you are in this moment, brother!!!...um, yeah, but, in a more practical sense, if I were really 100% right now, I’d have a snappy comeback...instead I just wanna blow my nose...again)...and in the mood to write for the first time since last week...so here we are...

...(meaning that, yeah, this post is ending up like one of those lame-ass movies about some stereotypical writer dork struggling to finish a novel and then, just before the credits, it turns out it’s actually the book the stupid movie’s based on!...bleah...like I said, not yet 100%)...

7 comments:

It's A Yoga Thang said...

Being "yogic" is highly over rated, but the neti-pot is not.

bereweber said...

dear Dr. Jay, i really feel for you, i am sinus / allergy sufferer as well, i have cat allergies and i have two (cats, that is) but the dryness of San Diego is what really gets my sinus pain going on...

oh btw! i love Edward Gorey drawings, i am an aficionado to Masterpiece Mystery on PBS Sunday nights and the intro animation is his

but back to the cure... i have tried neti-pot and saline irrigation but both seem too be too strong for me, instead of healing / rinsing my sinuses they seem to hurt the inside of my nose, so my more gentle approach: i wet a q-tip with saline warm water, the same you would use for the neti pot and clean the inside of my nose, the process takes several q-tips but this removes crusts and heals that burning pain on the top of your nose bones

also, i found this amazing homeopathic oil made with frankincense and myrrh, you rub it on your chest, your throat and i rub it on top of my nose and it really heals you
http://www.iherb.com/Frankincense-Myrrh-Sinus-Rubbing-Oil-2-fl-oz-59-ml/28397

i've found out that the use of antihistamines makes things worse, it heals you for a bit, but the pain & nose drips come back stronger once the meds wear off, the only thing that helps me though, in a harsh case is Sudafed Non-Drying sinus, has to be the non-drying one, that helps unplugging the ears, etc. for the rest of the meds, i use homeopathics some of these might help
http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=homeopathy+sinus
hey!! i am not a doctor, but i gave you plenty of prescriptions, huh?

hope you feel better soon!

ah also, i've learned that sometimes i cannot go to a complete yoga class, so when i am sick, i do a couple of downward facing dogs sometimes on the side of my bed, a couple of hours later, i do some child poses, and so-on during the day, just to stretch and keep things flowing, remember you don't have to do a whole practice full of energy, sometimes a couple of head rolls on your bed while breathing consciously in & out is all it takes to be a yogi :)

earthtoholly said...

Sorry you're not feeling well, drjay. Those sinus things are the worst. It's dreary here...cold and rainy...which makes it especially hard for one to get off one's duff and be productive. Maybe tomorrow. *sigh*

the walking man said...

If those blissed out yoga hippie types are always feeling 100% on all levels I wonder if maybe I who have never posed or practiced any Yoga could just be the yogi's Boo Boo?

skyewriter said...

Head stands with a head cold (aka sinus plague?)? Post neti nonetheless... I think that qualifies you for some extra-special blissed out somethingorother. Or perhaps seeing stars. Either way, isn't it fun? I'm on round two, too, of the student carried pestilence so I can commiserate (co-expectorate, too). Feel better soon!

Kim said...

It sounds like it was one of those colds that never truly goes away. My mom had a bout of that last winter. It just kept coming back. I hope you figure out the trick to yours.

Kate said...

I agree...neti pot is helpful. So is Glenlivet. I don't 100% buy into all the Louise Hay health stuff, but she does talk about colds as the body's way of crying...letting go of something you are holding in...so take that with a grain of salt if it rings true. And some Glenlivet.

Love Gorey...K is for Kate who was struck with an axe.